Education in Indian society has been a long standing debate as to how education should be delivered to the masses. The topic becomes all the more relevant due to vast geography and diversification in culture and beliefs.

We have come a long way since the time when our literacy rate was only 12% in 1947 and then our great upward march began due to which at the end of 2016 we have reached the 74% mark.

Today’s society have understood the need for educating their children more than everything and that it provides easy upward mobility into the higher levels of the society.

Standing at 2017 when we have surpassed 70, the scenario is different. We are talking of Digital India and Online Education. Well, internet has played a major role in transforming the way we live our lives. Internet has become inevitable in our lives. Similarly the youth of India has embraced this change wholeheartedly and till date has been majorly delivering its goods than bads.

Education domain has also been a pillion of the internet breeze sweeping across the nation. Riding on a strong Internet infrastructure in Tier A cities and the increasingly developing ones in Tier B and C cities has led to a staggering 409 million (only 31%) Indians to come onboard the internet wave.

  • Low-cost alternative

Due to large economies of scale the online education provides cost effective alternative to traditional education. Study says the online alternatives are 53% cheaper than their offline counterparts.

  • Higher Availability of Quality Education

Previously quality education was a localized affair and was mainly for the affluent ones. Students had to relocate themselves to the locations where institutes were reached in order to access quality education. With Online channel of knowledge delivery geographies isn’t a problem anymore. Candidates from states like Jammu and Kashmir and Bihar which lacks in quality offline education can access Online Education from the best of the institutes in India.

  • Growing Smartphone Users  
  • The exponential increase in the smart phone users in India has been driving technology adoption among the masses. With a user base of nearly 290 million smart phone users India is looking at overtaking China in becoming the country with the largest number of smart phone users.
  • Government Initiatives will drive the adoption of Online Education

Initiatives like Skill India, Digital India, RMSA – Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan will drive the market for Online Education by creating the need for students to go online.

  • Young Indian Population

Presently almost 46% of the Indian Population is within the age group 16-40 which means the acceptability of Online

channels in this  strata of the population is the highest. This presents a huge opportunity for Education delivery to be delivered online.

  • Internet Penetration growing exponentially

There are over 409 million Internet users today and is estimated to reach 736 million by 2021. With this gargantuan numbers India stands at only 31% for Internet penetration which means the rest 69% of the Indian subcontinent is still waiting to get onboard the flight.

The future of Online Education looks really bright and this industry being in the early growth phase will only get bigger in the next 2 decades. At the same time it is very important that the teachers who holds the center stage also adopts and upgrades themselves according to the need of the hour. The decision makers in several institutes who ideally belong to the age group 40+ has to have a vision and farsightedness to

understand the convenience Online Education brings with it. They have to be the leaders in this adoption race; not merely followers. They need to lead their education bodies in this uphill adoption process in order to stay afloat in the market and also contribute to the ever growing needs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *